I wanted to take this opportunity to reach out and first say hello again to all our new members over the last 18 months, and a big thanks to all our long term Members for your continued support and commitment in getting us through the past “ Covid times”. Your collective support and TENACITY even in these unsettled times, has proven that we can and have overcome some difficult head winds, and yet we have arrived fully in tack, with good spirits and foresight for greater times ahead .
Our DIYC Membership numbers remain very strong. As of our August Board meeting , we are very close to an all time membership record; with 306 household memberships, which equates to a little over 575 total Members. With this great news, the DIYC Board and the many Committee members have truly rallied to bring our Membership and the whole of Dataw Island, the most aggressive and exciting Social and Events calendar that we have ever offered.
Since the Island’s gradual emergence from the Pandemic , and the opportunity to gather again in larger and more active groups ; The DIYC has been instrumental in :
1. The overwhelming success of Two different Marina Open Houses where the DIYC provided Island wide boat rides
2. Our Ship’s Store has virtually “branded the whole Island ” with its DIYC apparel and cruise gear at these and virtually every other opportunity and event 3. The DIYC has truly rallied on all calls to action for volunteerism to help repair and rebuild our docks and Marina Grounds
4. We recently had a very successful New Member social event with over 80 new members in attendance in our newly renovated Carolina Room
5. We introduced the first “ coming out of Covid” Power and Sail boat event called “ The Blessing of the Fleet” [ a very big success ] with several hundred Island wide participants
6. We instituted a new “ gathering at the marina “ social time once a month, where our Membership can come together and get reacquainted with adhoc food and libations on the “foredeck” at MRG and Marina pier head…..
We have also recently completed record participation and fun with trips to Harbor Town Marina in HH , Charleston City Marina for a two night stay in the “Holy City”; a fun cruise to Daufuskie Island, and most recently we have completed our first ever DIYC “Charity Poker run” that raised over $1000 for the winner’s favorite charity. All these fun events along with a renewed, and very active Sailing, Fishing and Kayaking Calendar and activities agendas , have made our first 8 months of this year’s DIYC Calendar truly memorable.
These are but a few of the ways we have expanded our DIYC agenda of activities so, please consider Membership in the DIYC , if you are not already ; and maybe you too can join in on all the coming events and attractions like : an Evening on the Morgan River sand bar , Pirates on the Pier [ this Halloween ] , the DIYC Boat Parade during Luminary Weekend , and certainly the event Gala of the Year “ The Commodores Ball” held in November in the Carolina Room.
With All this, along with the most creative and active Educational , Social , Power, Sail, Fishing and Kayak event calendars that we have ever had; you can see that we have all been busy with the work, ACTIVITIES and the Fun of our Club.
If all this were not enough , It has also been a goal of this DIYC Board to use our collective best efforts to focus on trying , after over 15 years ; to actually find a “Place” that we could call the home and base of operations for the Club. The Club’s Burgees , records , library , archives , and written history are currently scattered in individual homes , basements , attics , and garages over the Island . We have looked at several options over recent years , none of which worked out.
However , with the support of Ted Bartlett , and both the DIC and DIYC leadership ; we are actively pursuing that goal ; and hope to bring that accomplishment for our Members in the foreseeable future.
All in all , your DIYC is well and thriving. We invite you to come see and experience for yourself the comradery and unity of spirits , as we serve our Membership and this amazing Island we all call Home.
Hope to see you on the Water!