As we move into the middle of the summer months, activities with the Dataw Island Yacht Club are far below what we had planned and expected. The continuing persistence of Covid 19 has resulted in the cancellation of many of our events. However, as certain restrictions have eased, both statewide and here on Dataw Island, the DIYC has commenced with some activities where we could.
Some boat cruises have commenced and will continue where possible. We had a great full day cruise to Cotton Island on the opposite side of Beaufort with 17 boats. One of the largest cruises in recent memory. We even got to play in the pluff mud! We also completed a great cruise to Daufuskie Island with 8 boats. Many brought picnic lunches and rented golf carts to land cruise the island. Regrettably, we had to cancel our Charleston cruise due to all the issues affecting Charleston at that time. We are looking forward to continuing with cruises where we can, with one of my favorites, the Capers Island trip coming up the end of July, followed by a Morgan River Sandbar trip in mid-August.
Sailboats are once again racing in the Morgan River after a long hiatus. We have had three races already with as many as six boats racing. The races start and finish off the marina dock so it is a great time to see all the activity right here on our Morgan River. Races will continue throughout the summer, look out for the notices. Also, we are working on the return of our premier race, the Dataw Cup to occur later this fall.
Kayak trips are also back in action where possible. The Fripp Inlet Sandbar trip had a great turn out in mid June. It was also the first kayak trip utilizing online registration. The next trip is Dolphin Sighting at Russ Point Landing on August 5th. Take this opportunity to experience our wonderful water ways by kayak and maybe see some dolphins.
The ship’s store is full speed ahead with our online store. Check out the DIYC website for all the great stuff. You can look great, to all your friends six feet away, in your DIYC gear.
Our social events and fishing trips are still on hold. However, we are hopeful of getting some sort of social event, perhaps at the pool, sometime early fall. We also are looking at options for the Commodores Ball if issues still remain in the late fall
It appears many social events will be impacted for some time. Let’s do what we can, where we can while maintaining good practices and common sense. Anyone not comfortable or considered a higher risk should not feel pressured and should maintain their vigilance.
I’m looking forward to seeing you all out on the water.